What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

All of your gas appliances need to be vented properly to ensure that you don’t end up with carbon monoxide (CO) in your home. This includes your gas water heater or your tankless water heater. Five Star Plumbing warns that if you don’t have carbon monoxide detectors or if they aren’t working, you and your family can become seriously ill or worse from CO poisoning. Carbon monoxide is undetectable by humans, which is what makes it so dangerous. Here are the symptoms of CO poisoning below.

Blurred Vision

If you’ve been having a problem with blurry vision lately, it could be that there’s a small carbon monoxide leak making its way into your house. Again, this gas is undetectable so you won’t realize you are inhaling it.


Confusion is also a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. Many people who are suffering from CO poisoning oftentimes become confused as if they have dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.

Difficulty Breathing

You may also find that you are having problems breathing. You may feel shortness of breath all the time if you are inside your house and there is a carbon monoxide leak. Breathing problems can indicate serious medical conditions, as well, so it’s important to go to the doctor right away.


If you and your family are all feeling dizzy, grab the pets and get out of the house right away. It’s important that you don’t linger indoors if everyone is feeling dizzy or ill in some other way.

Dull Headaches

Alongside being dizzy, CO poisoning can also cause dull headaches. You may wake up feeling okay but you are more likely to wake up with a dull headache that won’t go away no matter what you do.


Carbon monoxide poisoning also makes people feel nauseous. Again, you won’t be the only person likely suffering from this condition. The rest of your family will also feel sick if there is carbon monoxide in the air.


A severe symptom of CO poisoning is unconsciousness. It’s important to exit your home before you are overtaken by this noxious gas. Don’t forget to get the pets out, as well.


Vomiting can also be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning so take the symptoms seriously. Young children and the elderly or more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning as are those with breathing problems.

Finally, if you are inhaling carbon monoxide constantly, you will begin to feel weak all the time. Don’t take chances. Five Star Plumbing is the best plumber in San Antonio, TX. We are also the best plumber in Corpus Christi, TX, and we can test your home for carbon monoxide leaks.

Photo by Anthony Boulton from Getty Images via Canva Pro